Pages

Monday 4 April 2016

Editorial / Lighting



Lighting plays a very important part in Givenchy's previous editorials and it is partially what makes them so recognisable. I chose to look at some of their editorials shot in black and white for inspiration on how to light my shots. These editorial images above have been shot on grey backgrounds to give a nice mid tone shade in the spectrum between black and white. Something I noticed is common in Givenchy's editorials is the technique of lighting more from one side to cast a slight shadow on one side of the face. This is looks very effective in black and white because it adds interest from the shot and helps the face look multi dimensional by highlighting where the shadow naturally falls. This is a technique I will definitely be using when shooting my editorial looks and I will achieve this by playing around with the positioning of my lights. I plan to begin with the standard beauty set up of two soft boxes and a beauty dish, as I know this is flattering on the models skin and is not too harsh. Once my models are in the position I want to shoot them in I will experiment with moving one of the soft boxes or turning down the flash to create a darker side of the face. I don't want the face to be completely in shadow as this will distract from the make up, but I would like to create a subtle version of the effect in order for my editorials to be recognisable as being done in the Givenchy style. 

Davide (2015) Alessio, Dominik, Paolo & more wear Givenchy for manuscript editorial. Available at: https://designsfever.com/2015/04/02/alessio-dominik-paolo-more-wear-givenchy-for-manuscript-editorial/ (Accessed: 24 April 2016).
Camp, J. (2014) Erykah Badu decked out in Givenchy for purple magazine. Available at: http://www.whowhatwear.co.uk/blogs/www/erykah-badu-decked-out-in-givenchy-for-purple-magazine (Accessed: 24 April 2016).
TrendH (no date) Harajuku LA street style. Available at: https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/287034176224056127/ (Accessed: 24 April 2016).
Edit reference


No comments:

Post a Comment