Pages

Wednesday 13 April 2016

Editorial / Page Design & Layout

I find editorial layout and design really interesting, so I wanted my editorials to be more than just two separate images and actually look as though they belonged in a magazine. I looked at Givenchy's Instagram page for inspiration as that is where they post all of their editorials and also looked at other brands use of layout for ideas.


Givenchy posted this picture of an invite to their Fall Winter 2016 Womenswear show invite on their Instagram page. I loved the smudge of peach and how it brings a shot of colour to an otherwise monochromatic picture. I tried re creating this myself using one of my test shoot images, however I don't feel like the effect paid off in this case. I think this may be something to do with the more vintage look of the original Givenchy picture and the more dramatic lighting, but I'm glad I experimented with this even though it's not something I will be using in my final images. 





This is a common layout style for Givenchy's ad campaigns and seeing as their fashion advertisements and editorials often cross over, its a style I might consider using for my editorial spread. I really want my editorial images to look as though they belong in a magazine and I feel using this border with the logo included would bring a professionalism to my pictures as they would be presented in a typically Givenchy style.



I tried this out using my final images from my editorial shoot and really like the look it creates. I think the logo being repeated across both pages looks a bit strange so will be changing this or maybe replacing one of them for Givenchy's smaller 'G' logo. I like the way the images are laid out like a double page spread in a magazine and think it benefits the flow of the story as you can see side by side how the two make up looks compliment each other. 



It was suggested that we maybe incorporate some text into our editorials. From my research of the brand I knew this is not something Givenchy usually do, but I decided to experiment anyway by adding a quote from Riccardo Tisci about the elegance of the colour black. Personally I'm not a fan of the way these pages look with the quote and I feel it takes away from the simplicity and minimalism of the page design while not really benefitting the image. However it was worth a try as I like experimenting with different styles of presenting my work and had I have picked another brand or concept, this idea could have worked. 

Caldwell, C. and Zappaterra, Y. (2014b) Editorial design: Digital and print. United Kingdom: Laurence King Publishing.
Inline Citations: 
  • (Caldwell and Zappaterra, 2014b)

No comments:

Post a Comment