Pages

Monday 4 April 2016

Editorial / Male Make Up

As I don't have a lot of experience with applying make up for men, I had a look at some Youtube tutorials to prepare me for my editorial shoot. The look I am going for is quite contoured, but as I am used to contouring in a way that makes the face look feminine I wanted to research where to contour to make the most of masculine features like the jawline.


I don't want the look of my male model to be feminine or 'drag like' in any way, simply a masculine reflection of the female make up. I liked this tutorial shown above as it naturally perfects and makes the most of the mans features, creating a flawless, structured canvas perfect for applying details such as freckles over the top. Unlike the man seen in the video, I want man modelling for me to not look too groomed, so won't be filling in his eyebrows or perfecting them. I feel when you start to pluck an arch into a mans brow it gives an instantly feminine look which is not what I'm trying to create. I may also need to fill in my models beard as men often have some sort of patchiness to their facial hair and as with the brows I won't be shaving the neck to keep a natural masculine finish to the look. 

Wesley Benjamin Carter (2015) Male makeup Tutorial - step by step. Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxOldw8RhvI (Accessed: 16 April 2016).
Edit reference

No comments:

Post a Comment