Pages

Friday 25 March 2016

Editorial / My concept and inspiration


The brief asked us to show the story behind our catwalk looks, through our editorial images. Givenchy has two sides to the brand with the catwalk often being more versatile - anything from the brightly coloured sequin masks of S/S14 to this years softer, more monochromatic and pale lace designs. Yet when looking at Givenchy's previous editorials, they have a very particular style which is often quite dark with grungy influences. My concept for my editorial story is to show the rougher, darker side of my catwalk look, inspired by similar textures and shapes but with a focus on darker colours.

 While the models used in my catwalk look will hopefully be blonde, I want the models for this look to have very dark hair, contrasting to the paleness of their skin. As Givenchy usually use groups of models, I will hopefully have at least two, preferably one male and one female. The two images must flow together like a story so I looked at previous editorials for idea's on how to do this. I would like clothing, models and setting to remain the same across my images, with just a few aspects of the make up changing, as well as the shot of the photograph. The whole 'grungy' look makes me think of the 90's, where brown lips were very fashionable so I have decided to use brown tones as a key colour in these designs. Freckles were seen all over S/S16 catwalks and I love the way they soften and add a natural beauty to an otherwise tough look, so I would like them to be a stand out feature that remains constant across my two designs. 


Design #1: The base will remain the same across both looks, glossy, freckled skin inspired by this seasons 'gym skin' trend (seen at Dior). I want the freckles to be a focal point, covering the whole face with concentration around the nose. The brows will be naturally full and defined complimenting the make up but not dominating. Smudged onto the lids and up into the socket will be a chocolatey brown shadow, creating a slightly sunken effect on the eyes. The shape of this shadow will mirror the slightly rounded, yet slightly winged out shape of my pearl embellishments seen in my catwalk design. The lips will be left almost bare with just a little nude lipstick used to pale them out. Picking up on trends from this season: centre parted hair & bobs and buzzcuts, my female models hair will be a sleek, straight, centre parted bob. 

Design #2: Keeping some elements of the first design such as the base, this design will focus on the lips instead of the eyes. A matte bold lip was seen in shades of berry and red on the catwalks this season, but I want to adapt this to fit my grunge theme by using applying a matte, dark brown shade to my models lips. The eyes will be bare apart from mascara and some vaseline to add a glossy effect, to keep the look from being too overpowering. 

Rogue, F.G. (no date) Givenchy’s fall 2015 collection gets the editorial treatment in vogue Japan. Available at: https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/477381629229897971/ (Accessed: 16 April 2016).
mobil, rental, Bronze, Stuart-Daley, M. and says, B. (2011) Entertainment. Available at: http://www.fashiongonerogue.com/ajak-deng-givenchy-amy-troost-spain/ (Accessed: 16 April 2016).c

No comments:

Post a Comment